Sitemaps are XML files that list the URLs for your website for the purpose of helping search engines index your website properly. XML sitemaps include additional information about each URL like how often it is updated, when it was last modified and what it’s priority is within your website. Having an XML sitemap will help your website with search engine optimization (SEO).
Remember, sitemaps include URLs while blocking bots exclude URLs.
Create an XML Sitemap:
You can create an XML Sitemap in 3 easy steps.
- A simple way to create a XML Sitemap is to go to http://www.xml-sitemaps.com/ and fill out the form shown in figure 1.1
- After you complete the form, you will be redirected to the generated XML Sitemap details page that includes a download link to your Sitemap file. Download the Sitemap file and upload it to the root folder of your domain via your FTP client.
- At this point you can wait for bots to find your website and populate search engines like Google.com, or you can start immediately affecting your SEO by submitting the file with a Google Webmaster account. To do this, follow the next 2 steps.
- Go to Google Webmasters and create an account.
- Once logged in, click on the “Add a site” link and type in your website URL.
You have now successfully created an XML Sitemap for your website!
For a more in-depth look at XML Sitemaps, check out this link: http://www.xml-sitemaps.com/about-sitemaps.html